Forgive me…I promised this post a long time ago. Better a longer wait than never, eh?
Alright…so basically the story goes a little something like this.
After living in West Palm Beach for eleven years, I moved back to the Central Florida area in October (2008). I moved here without a job, without a place of my own and without more friends than I could count on one hand. Many days since my move have found my mind focused on the things/people/circumstances I DON’T have in Central Florida.
On one such day, I was driving and praying. In the middle of giving my list of “needs” to God,–Lord, I need a job. Lord, I need some friends. Lord, I need a place to live that’s mine. Lord, I need…Lord, I need…Lord, I need…–I heard His characteristically still, small voice. He said (and I quote), “You have all that you need…and then some.”
I stopped. And, started thinking. Indeed…I have all that I need…AND THEN SOME.
- I have a roof over my head (AND then some bed to sleep in…).
- I have three meals a day (AND then some frivolous snacks…AND then some coffee).
- I have enough money to keep driving my car (AND using my cell phone).
- I have car insurance (AND then some health insurance).
- I have so many people who I consider close/good friends (AND then some new potential friends in Central Florida).
- I have a family who loves me and supports me (AND seems to like having me nearby).
- I have a God who knows me (AND then loves me in spite of that).
So…there you go. I don’t deserve any of this…and the list could go on and on. God doesn’t owe me anything. And, this isn’t anything I didn’t already know. But this short conversation with God has carried me for weeks.
Of course, I find it nearly impossible to remember this perspective every minute of every day, but I’m trying. And, it’s a moment by moment choice.